Best places to stargaze in Northumberland
Stargazing at Lord Crewe Arms
Dark Sky Country
Northumberland boasts stunning, unspoiled landscapes, yet there's a particular aspect that sets one part of our region apart - absolute darkness. When the evenings grow darker and the pristine starry skies are shining at their brightest in the Northumbrian moors, it's one of the best places in the UK to enjoy nature's light show...
At 580 square miles, our county's dark sky zone - Northumberland International Dark Sky Park - is the largest area of protected night sky in Europe.
Take A Tour Of The Sky
Cosy up in the Crewe garden with blankets and a cup of something hot and use our astronomy binoculars and telescopes to explore the best light show around or venture further afield to one of our recommended stargazing spots nearby
Good to know..
- All guests can find a pair of astronomy binoculars and a guide to the stargazing in their rooms - some even have a telescope too
- We host a range of stargazing events throughout the autumn and winter months, hosted by our local stargazing expert Andy Gray
- Private stargazing with Andy Gray can be organised for guests staying (subject to Andy's availability)
- Our big telescope is fixed in the Crewe garden and is available to guests to use any time
- Our team can recommend the best spots to visit in the area - including Pow Hill and Kielder Observatory to name a few!
"We came to Lord Crewe for a dark skies event with Andy Gray in November. Andy gave a great talk with lots of room for question and answers over bowls of stew with a veggie option plus sticky toffee pudding. We then went out onto the garden where we could view the stars through the large telescope. We could see Mars, Jupiter, Saturn, the Milky Way, Andromeda, the Plough, Orion and many more. We then retired to the bar with friends and had superb breakfast the next morning. Rooms are really comfortable and well equipped and staff really friendly. A really unique experience and highly recommended!".Dark skies and overnight stay - TripAdvisor User
Get in touch
Things To Do
Discover our tops picks to see in Northumberland
View Our Events
Explore our latest stargazing events